Blackberry World Soon Accepting Android Apps
This is awesome, so I can download all the blackberry specific apps, and I can also download all the android apps I want to all in the same phone! Now thats a 1 up!
Major game and app development companies are being approached by Blackberry to submit their apps to a new section on Blackberry World. In the past, Blackberry only accepted apps done using their own proprietary format. In the near future Blackberry will be releasing a new firmware update that will allow users to install Android apps (apk) files directly on their phone. To gear up for this transition, Blackberry will be offering Android apps for direct download in their online app store.
At least four different game development companies at Pepcom and CES confirmed to Good e-Reader that they have been approached by Blackberry to include their productivity and gaming apps into Blackberry World. This basically requires no work on the developers part who have an existing Android app that is compatible on 4-6 inch smartphones. All the studios/developers have to do is make a new profile and submit icons/screenshots and app descriptions. Blackberry owners will be able to download and install them the same way they have been downloading apps since Blackberry 10 was released.
Blackberry is betting big on the 10.3 firmware update that will allow native android apps to work on the Q5, Q10, Z10 and Z30. This will allow your average user to install whatever they want and not be limited. The Good e-Reader labs tested an early build of this update on the Z10 and installed our own Good e-Reader App Store. I was able to install and run every app we had. This is going to be a serious boon for people who have been let down by the dirge of apps until this point on Blackberry World.
There is no estimated date when the new firmware update will be pushed out. Some companies have confirmed that its basically all done, but Blackberry is waiting to have at least 10,000 Android apps in their library before they start a marketing campaign.
BBM’s Successful Launch Points Out A Survival Route For BlackBerry
This is the news you’ve been waiting for! I am thrilled to tell you that we are about to officially resume our rollout of BBM for Android and iPhone customers around the globe!* In the next few hours, people will start seeing BBM in Google Play, the App Store and in select Samsung App Stores – where it will be free to download.
BlackBerry had 10 million downloads in twenty-four hours. Now that BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) is available on iOS and Android, the walled garden is down and everyone is pouring in to pick up one of BlackBerry’s signature technologies. If BlackBerry wants a signpost to a way forward that’s good for the business and ensures they stay relevant over the next few years, BBM has handed it to them.
Until now, if you wanted to be on BBM, you had to purchase a BlackBerry
device. While smartphones were still regarded as ‘phones with a bit more’ it was a simple decision to buy one. But the last five years have seen smartphones morph into ‘very small but fully capable computers’ and not every manufacturer managed to stay on top of that change. Nokia stayed with Symbian for too long, and by the time they changed to a modern OS (in Windows Phone) Android and iOS were too far ahead to be caught.
To help manage this unprecedented pent-up demand for BBM, we are implementing a simple line-up system to ensure a smooth roll out. Here’s how it is going to work…
BlackBerry has struggled to make the jump to a modern smart phone, and it took until early this year to launch their vision in the Z10.
While the exact sales numbers for BlackBerry devices running the BB10 OS are not available, many analysts expect them to be around the 5 million mark with a following wind. Twice that number have shown an interest in BBM in twenty-four hours.
And BlackBerry is not finished with the app, as Andrew Bocking, BlackBerry EVP writes:
“We committed to delivering a BBM experience on iPhone and Android that was equal to that on BlackBerry 10. That means bringing BBM Video, BBM Voice and BBM Channels to Android and iPhone customers too. My team is still committed to bringing those features to BBM on Android and iPhone in the near future.”
Perhaps the only sad note to the success of the BBM app this week is the realisation that BlackBerry has come into this game too late to be earth shattering. Ten million users (assuming they all stay) is a big number, and one that could be built on, but the rise of clients such as WhatsApp Messenger (currently quoting 300 million active users across multiple mobile platforms) are a reminder of what could have been for BlackBerry. If they had opened up their service to a wider audience two years ago as former CEO Jim Balsillie argued for, instead of waiting for BB10 to be finished and placed in a rather standard smartphone chassis (the Z10), BlackBerry could have established themselves as the cross-platform mobile messaging system of choice.
That’s not an option for them in the near future, but with focus and dedication (and an attitude about serving the user first, and not serving the BB10 platform before iOS and Android), they have a chance to become part of the mobile infrastructure once more, without the extra cost of building and maintaining an alternative operating system or mobile hardware.
BBM is a little beacon of success in the middle of some turbulent times for the Canadian company. Hopefully BBM will continue to receive investment and attention so it can build on a successful launch and keep BlackBerry relevant in the smart phone world.
- BBM service resumes !! Crossed 10 Million Downloads !!! (parisairammohan.wordpress.com)
- BBM Pin sharing for Android and iPhone owners starting to go viral on… Instagram?!! (crackberry.com)
- BBM for iOS and Android Downloaded 10M Times in 24 Hours (technobuffalo.com)
- BBM for iPhone and Android sees over 10 million downloads in 24 hours (mobilesyrup.com)
- BBM for Android launches today (androidos.in)
- Is it Bad Timing for Blackberry’s BBM for Android/iPhone? (eustacedunn.wordpress.com)
- BBM for iOS to Relaunch Today With Reservation System (iClarified.com)
- BBM for Android, iOS clocks over 10 million downloads in 24 hours (ibnlive.in.com)
- BBM for Android, BBM for iPhone finally here, but not for all (ibnlive.in.com)
- BBM for Android and iPhone hits 5 Million Downloads in 8 Hours (techcircledxb.com)
Bold 9930 Version 7.1.0 Bundle 2705
GmaNsWolD.com – I just got notification on my phone that update Version 7.1.0 Bundle 2705 is available. I tried Blackberry Desktop Manager and it did not find the update. I also searched the internet and it is not listed anywhere, and also did not find it on Verizon.
- The Bold 9900/9930 is the nest iconic BlackBerry ever made (forums.crackberry.com)
- 3D Hearts (9900/9930 OS7) (daftarteknologi.wordpress.com)
- How I Got a Z10 Seven Months Before My Upgrade (berryreporter.com)
- TV comes to the BlackBerry (reviews.cnet.com)
- Sprint Blackberry Bold 9930 Battery Charging Issue (forums.crackberry.com)
- 9930 VZW Users Need Your Thoughts!! (forums.crackberry.com)
- LOW PRICE Blackberry Bold 9900, 9790,9780,9650,9930,9700 Onyx Oem Power Plug travel Charger +USB Cable (rbst0y00.wordpress.com)
- RIM BlackBerry Bold 9930 Verizon Unlocked for QUAD Band GSM NON CAMERA VERSION OS7 Touch Screen (bgqim719.wordpress.com)
- What If Blackberry Customer Service Ran Other Things? (consumerist.com)
- SHOP ON @# ORIGINAL OEM Car Charger for your Blackberry Bold 9930 + DBROTH Cloth (xuvnrjbz.wordpress.com)
Blackberry World Application List
Whats In & Whats Out
By Corey GmaN
Lots of topics going around with apps in Blackberry 10 and if they are going to be included or not, so I made a current list, and I can constantly update it to keep track if it is or is not coming to blackberry 10. Will be nice to have one reference point to view. I am not going to list every app that is going to be in Blackberry World, lets try to key on the top 200 or so apps. The bigger players in the market. And just to stop some of the rants, we all understand that you only need certain apps for your lifestyle, but just keep in mind everybody is different. I am also assuming a lot of the not included apps will be announced before the phones are available in the US.
- If you can use the app in the browser, it is not counted as included in Blackberry 10
- If the app is side-loaded from android it is also not counted as included in Blackberry 10
Business and Productivity
Bloomberg, BMC Service Desk & Remedy, Box, Cisco WebEx Meetings, Citrix Podio, CNBC, Dictionary.com, Emirates NBD, ePrint, Harmon.ie, IBM Notes, Traveler, ING DIRECT Canada, Nat West, RBC, RBS, SAP, TD Bank Group, and Thomson Reuters.
Alpha Zero, Angry Birds (all variants so far), Asphalt 7:Heat, Azkend, Azkend2, Bejeweled 2, Boom Brigade 2, Cut the Rope, Cut the Rope: Experiments, Dead Space, Doodle Devil, Doodle God, Dragon Portal, EVAC HD, Flight Control Rocket, Fruit Ninja, Great Big War Game, Great Little War Game, Ice Age Village, InXile, Ironworm, Jetpack Joyride, Joining Hands, King Oddball, Let’s Golf! 3, Mass Effect Infiltrator, Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour, MONOPOLY Millionaire, N.O.V.A. 3: Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance, NBA Jam, Oregon Trail American Settler, Plants vs. Zombies, Quell, Real Soccer 2013, Robotek, Shadowgun, Shark Dash, Six Guns, Sonic 4 Episode 1, Sparkle, Square One, Tetris, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Bard’s Tale, The Dark Knight Rises, The Sims FreePlay, UNO, Where’s My Perry?, Where’s My Water?, World of Goo, and World Series of Poker.
AccuWeather, Air Canada, Air France, Delta Air Lines, DStv Mobile, Easyjet, FlightAware, Flixster, KLM, Manulife Financial, President’s Choice Recipe Box, SkyScanner, Spotcast, StubHub, The Weather Channel, The Weather Network, Tim Hortons TimmyMe, United Airlines, Wikitude, WisePilot, Yellow Pages Group, and Zara.
Absolute Radio, Al Jazeera, Allocine, Astral Radio, BBC Worldwide- Top Gear, BubblePix, Channel 4, Corus Entertainment- Radio, Deezer, E! Online, eMusic, Europe 1, History Channel, Kiss Kube, MTV Italia, Nobex Radio, NOS, N-TV Nachrichten, Occipital 360 Panorama, OxygenLive, Pacemaker, PaperCamera, Rdio, Shahid.net, SiriusXM, Slacker, Songza, SoundHound, TuneIn, and Volu.me.
AFP News, Amazon Kindle, CBC (News, Radio, Music, Hockey Night in Canada), Cosmopolitan, Economist, Elle, elmundo.es, El Pais, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Grazia Italy, Handlesbaltt, kicker, Leo Dictionary, MailOnline, Maxim, Motor Trend, News24, New York Times, NU.nl, PressReader, The Globe and Mail, The Guardian, The Independent, The London Evening Standard, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, and Wirtschaftswoche.
Badoo, Facebook, Foursquare, LinkedIn, ooVoo, Skype, Tuenti Social Messenger, Truphone, Twitter, Viber, Whatsapp, and Xing.
CBSSports.com, ESPN ScoreCenter, Goal.com, L’equipe, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment‘s Maple Leafs Mobile App and Raptors Mobile App, MLB.com At Bat, NHL GameCenter, PGA Tour, Runtastic, Sports Tracker, and UFC.
Business and Productivity
Mint, alot of non Canadian banks.
AP Mobile, Flipboard, Nook, Pocket, and Zite.
Amazon Instant Video, HBO GO, Netflix, Showtime, and TV.com
Instagram, Pinterest, and Yelp, as well as any third-party Twitter clients.
American Airlines, BA, Expedia, Google Maps, Kayak, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Tripit, and most brand-name GPS apps.
Yahoo Fantasy Sports
- Blackberry World Application List – Whats In & Whats Out (forums.crackberry.com)
- WhatsApp Now Available on BlackBerry 10 (blogs.blackberry.com)
- WhatsApp lands on BlackBerry 10, offers Z10 owners a BBM alternative (engadget.com)
- WhatsApp for BlackBerry 10 coming next week (crackberry.com)
- BlackBerry World: Solutions Showcase (blogs.blackberry.com)
- WhatsApp updated to v2.9.3997.0 for BlackBerry 10 devices (crackberry.com)
- Words with Friends now available in BlackBerry World! (forums.crackberry.com)
- WhatsApp for BlackBerry 10 now available (mobilesyrup.com)
- BlackBerry World 2012 Keynote Highlights: BlackBerry 10, App Demos, and More (bizblog.blackberry.com)
- Google Talk For BlackBerry 10 Updated To v10.0.10.7 In BlackBerry World (kristinesite.wordpress.com)